Thursday, August 21, 2008

Clunking Down the Catwalk

Stella and Louisa Verde


Stella has quickly become one of my favorites of the season. I can't see her making it Bryant Park, but I expect her to at least make 6th. I do however think that her Bryant Park offerings would be exquisitely Stella. And by that I mean well made, not exactly to my taste, fun, and coming from a genuine place. It's the genuine nature of Stella that makes her so likable. Sure this is the same quality which made her repulsive for the first two episodes it is clear that she is not an act or a novelty. She is a serious and talented designer with a strong point of view. Her City inspiration outfit was chic and fit in perfectly with the night life of certain sub cultures and her Olympic outfit was top three material. And obviously her collaboration with Jerrel was robbed of the win.

Ok, lets probe.

First off, Louisa Verde was hands down the most dowdy and flat out ugly queen available. It was clear that she'd be last pick and I would have felt bad for any designer who had to work with her (except maybe Keith and Kenley). And oof! what a mug! Beyond that, Her signature style was frumpy and was hardly inspiring. I commend Stella for meeting the challenge with such a positive attitude.

As for the dress, it's a bit too modest, a bit too elvira, a bit too tartan, and simply not fabulous. This offering is part of what made this episode disappointing. And I have to come down on Stella for not pushing the envelope more on this one. If there was EVER a time for Leathuh it was tonight, and Stella really could have gone in a raw S&M direction. Oh well At least she's here for next week. Although this outfit probably should have been bottom three instead of Jerrel.

No comments: