Thursday, August 21, 2008

Darker Colored Silhouettes

Hallelujah Daniel was Aufed on Project Runway tonight!! I am a pretty gigantic runway fan and have been reading a few Prunway blogs lately. ( projectrungay.blogspot.com is a must must must see) So going on with that, I decided I'd try my hand at Project Runway blogging at least for just tonight. And is no one else appalled that Daniel said darker colored silhouettes!? Silhouettes are SHAPES not COLORS. I would expect someone with such impeccable taste to know better.

So tonight was 5 seasons in the making... The DRAG QUEEN CHALLENGE!!! I have thought that this would be the making of reality television goodness since the first episode of season 1. my only qualm is that I wish it would have come sooner. Season 4's designers were of a higher caliber all around compared to this season's designers and I can only begin to imagine what sort of a masterpiece Chris March would have worked out. ( I can also only imagine how pissed he is that the closest he got to his sistah's was female wrestlers) That being said It is what it is, and I hope that this challenge is resurrected in a future season.

First off, the introduction of the queens. Honestly, I was somewhat underwhelmed. I would have preferred to see at least one black queen because they just hit a note that was decidedly missing last night. My early favorite was Varla I thought her sense of humor was very on par. And now to examine the offerings.
Terri and Acid Betty


Terri has been one of my favorites so far this season. Tonight, however, she disappointed me. Although I can't say color is her strongest facet, she has thus far demonstrated a fair amount of ability when it comes to choosing a palette for her designs. This however looks like it was torn from a drag queen coloring book. Flat white would have worked for a Queen like Farrah Moans. Acid Betty on the other hand could have worked white on a dress that has a less elegant silhouette, and that only incorporated the colors of her face paint.

Color Aside, The design oozes with potential. I loved the drama of the sleeves when Acid Betty walked the catwalk with her arms outstretched, and the corset as an obi substitute was an inspired and logical decision. I can't say I'm crazy about the undershirt thing and the yellow was jarring especially on those fringe dangles. Drag is over the top but clean simple and dramatic would have complimented all the craziness that Acid Betty works above the shoulders.

Ultimately this did not deserve top three, but was definitely good enough to keep Terri in the game.

Suede and Hedda Lettuce

Ok. So far Suede has been unimpressive to me. Sure his frozen pizza dress won the green challenge, but even it wasn't of the taste or quality that is deserving of a project runway win. Suede is competent but his days on the show are numbered, but I think he'll out live Keith.

As for Hedda, Bitch was definitely trying to score some reality diva spotlight! I can't say I'm surprised but she made a room full of drag queens seem demure and subtle (and not because of styling choices).

My first opinion of this outfit is that it looks strikingly similar too, but worse than her original outfit. Luckily there was some worse shit on that catwalk, because I think suede's copycat approach was a big no no. Why not leap and twirl out of the box on this challenge?

The jacket did look reptilian and not in a chic or impressive way, and the cocktail dress underneath was neither drag nor particularly striking. I did think that the heads of lettuce adorning the outfit were ingenious conceptually but in reality they were little more than a tolerable embellishment. Also I cal for a DQ designers should not be receiving outside help on their garments even when it's from their deceased grandfathers miraculously returned from beyond. Suede is different.

Finally, Hedda's runway walk was embarrassing.

1 comment:

David Dust said...

That Jeebus that Daniel is finally gone!

CLICK HERE for DavidDust's Project Runway recap.

:)